Monday, January 5, 2009

The List


My "Resolutions" for 2009: (in no particular order)

- I want to be more decisive. For anyone who has spent time with me may know that I am a people pleaser. So when decisions are to be made, I rarely pipe in for what I want. It's a "I will be happy when everyone else is happy" kinda thing. But this year I want to make a better effort in saying what I want and contribute more of an opinion when options are given.

-I want to budget my money better. I have always been fairly good at saving my money as I've grown up. But lately I've become more of an impulse buyer. I see something I like and I buy it. Now I'll give my self some credit and say that I am not spending money I don't have. I have worked hard for what I do have. But this year I want to think more long term with my money, instead of my wants I have now.

-I am going to make my bed every morning. Okay this one may sound silly, but sometimes I just don't see the point in making my bed. It is a bad thing I've thought for quite some time. But it has to end. I feel so much better when my bed is made and I think it sets a standard for my day. So from now on I am making my bed first thing (after my morning prayer).

-I am going to create an exercise routine and stick to it. Now I shouldn't use this excuse, but I will. I grew up dancing. So all my growing up years dancing was my work out routine. I never once thought about hitting up the gym or going for a run. My dance classes kept my busy almost every day of the week for hours on end. But now I am paying the price of never having a normal work out routine. Here I am 20 years old and I am falling apart. So this year I am going to over come my fear and step into the world of regular exercise. I am going to learn how to use weights and perhaps go for a run (on the elliptical of course). Perhaps I'll even sign up for a class or two.

-I want to eat healthier. I'll admit it, I am terrible when it comes to eating healthy. So this year I want to take some baby steps towards having a healthier diet. I think the best thing to do is my next resolution. No more of this instant crap.

-I want to cook more. Now having a mom who is the best cook in the entire world is both a blessing and a curse. I was the kid growing up that had homemade everything in my lunch and all the other kids were jealous. Every meal felt like a holiday, it was great. But the curse of it all is that I never took the time to learn and cook myself. Sure I can read a recipe and make a meal and it will turn out just fine. But I only do it on rare occasions. So this year I want to take some time to learn more from my mom and hopefully become more confident in my cooking.

-I want to find something I am passionate about and pursue it. So here I am 20 years old about to start another year of college with no idea what to do. I used to think that I wanted to pursue a career in television. I wanted to be an on-air talent. Whether for the news or another presentation, I wanted to be the face and voice. But the more I look into that field, the less appealing it has become. The hours and lifestyle is not what I am looking for. So now I am in pursuit of finding what else I would like to do. I have had a couple different ideas, but nothing I am wild about. My goal for this year is to choose a career and go for the gold.

-I want to be better about my daily scripture study. I'll admit as much as I try I haven't been the best in my daily scripture study. I'll go strong for about two weeks and then I fall off. But this year I am going to try some new ideas. After talking with some friends I realized that they way I go about my studying may be the reason why I haven't stayed consistent. (I usually try to marathon read- where you read and read and read trying to get in so many chapters a day). So this year I am going to try a couple new ideas I've heard of 1. is to look through your scriptures and see what you've highlighted in the past. Settle on a certain section of scriptures that you have previously highlighted and read it through. Reflect and try to remember why to highlighted it. Then write your reflections in your journal. 2. Pick a topic or question each Sunday that you want to know more about. Then each day of the week dedicate your scripture study to that topic. Do not limit yourself to one particular book, use all church resources available to you and your topic. Those are the two I liked the most, so I hope they'll help me.

-I want to travel. I want to go some where I have never been. Preferably some where other than the United States or Canada. I'm thinking Europe.... this is one of my more loftier goals this year so we'll see what happens with that.

-I want to give more service. I have a lot to learn from Wade. He seems to excel at everything. One big one I need to work on that he just seems to do effortlessly is giving service. I need to be more willing to give up my time for others. And also just be more sensitive to those who may need me. I think this will greatly bless my life and the lives of those around me if I become a little more Christlike with my time.

I am sure I'll come up with more. I always seem to get pretty ambitious at the beginning to the year. But I don't mind. I hope I work as hard as I am planning. :) I am excited for the new year. I hope to make the most of it. So here's to the new year, good luck!

0 comments: